Saturday, March 27, 2010

Penelope comes to town!

About a week or so ago I had one of my oldest friends come visit me in the city. We go way back, Temecula back. We went to the same high school and around my junior year we started hanging out all the time. I stayed at her house at least once a week and her parents took me under their oh-so-amazing wing. We seriously had the best time! Sneaking around our pathetic little town and doing what high schoolers do... nothing good. We both made great grades and had very lenient parents. Ahhh the fun I had reminiscing this past week!
The second I met Penelope at Penn Station I almost couldn't believe my eyes. I can't believe we spent so much time apart! Life does seem to come more swiftly since bills have been introduced to my life...
We hit the ground running! Went for a quick little breather back at my apartment where I opened my goodies from Penny and her family. (by the way, I just drank some coffee out of the UMASS Boston cup, thanks!) I wanted to show Penelope the lay of the land and I thought the best place to start would be a modest 30 block walk up 5th ave from 14th.
She didn't seem to mind.
Then we finally got to Rockefellar Plaza which is were I wanted to eat. (this is post Penny falling UP the stairs at one of new york's most well known landmarks, "Hey, remember when you fell? Five minutes ago?)
But boy, did she take it in stride! Putting on a smile and continuing to pose for the ever-clicking of my camera. Luckily we were just across the street from my little joint, Brasserie Ruelman. Holy Mother of Jesus, Mary, this food is out of this world! I'll let you guess what I had...
Which is gruyere, ham, grilled-heavenly goodness. So crunchy, so gooey-ooey, and comes with some duck-fat-fried french fries. Yes please, more! Penelope, in all her Bawstawn wholesomeness ordered the lobster bisque, "mmmmm this is subtly spicy". We also had some, "'What are these?' 'Cheese balls'".But our favorite part? I'll let you guess that, too...
After a few glasses of our dear-old-mischievous-familiar-friend, we wanted to go to the 'Top of the Rock'. So we skipped across the street and went to the observation deck (also known as the "rainbow room" for you Letterman fans) of the Rockefellar Building. The views were sensational! We made it to the top only after I harassed the ticket salesperson for a discount then we made our way through the maze of (un)interesting facts and history. Next thing you know we are being followed by this lovely Indian woman that wanted us to be her new friend. After we signed the prenuptial to our new friendship we went along our business and didn't realize what we had gotten ourselves in to. We couldn't shake her! (she was really quite lovely but didn't get our 'subtlety') Then she demanded to try and use my camera to take a picture of both Penny and me and we got this little gem of photography...
I think she was embarrassed and wanted some more tries because I practically had to rip my camera out of her hands and assert, firmly, that it was alright and Penelope and I made a B-line out of there! Those were some pretty incredible views and a great way for my out-of-towner-friend to get oriented with the city!
I felt like such a little tour guide. "Over there is the George Washington Bridge... and that blah blah blah" I will admit though, the best way to learn the city is from the ground!
I wanted to walk from here to this little sushi place I love.
Penelope and I hobbled over there after running out trying to shake our new friend. It was unbelievable to be able to catch up and be reminded of so many great times.
I was able to take some pretty awesome pictures on the way too. Angles and certain buildings that I never really get the chance to notice because I'm too busy running errands or just 'too busy'...
It was nice to be able to just take it easy and talk with a friend that has known me for such a long time. We kept our lunch date going with a few martinis and after that...
we made it back to my place so Penelope could get busy sleeping and waking me up early in the morning :)
The next day was filled with oddities. The most beautiful weather you could possibly ask for, bubbles, bagels, and central park. We walked all over and just basked in the ungodly warmth. (I am saying this with a tinge of resentment because the weather has been sucking ever since Penelope left! 34 degrees today? Is that really necessary?)
... more oddities. Old man playing a ukulele? Couple dressed head-to-toe in yarn knitwear pushing a "baby" that is really a sign saying "we need money for weed"?... all the norm here in this city. That's partly why I am in so in love with the city I live in... but mostly it's the New Yorker couple that just walks right between the two without batting an eyelash of reasonable question. I only noticed these little obscenities because I was looking through the eyes of a visitor...
I happen to think all of these things thread together the cathartic experience you get from this vibrant city. You can't even get a sip of water without something popping out at you!
We went to the Central Park Boathouse and relaxed while we waited for some friends. I sat in some mud which was really something special... I love this picture though! Something magically 70s about it.
Speaking of things that are "special" these shoes fit the bill. They are also quite appropriate for my current rant on things that are bizarre/odd in the city. The thing is, if I was alone or with someone from here I would probably not have even noticed these... "walking instruments". I'm probably forgetting about 8480458 things to mention but long story short I loved our weekend together! I cannot wait to go up to Boston to visit Penelope and her family!

Thanks for coming down! You are truly welcome anytime!

2 comments:

  1. Penelope looks fantastic! I know who the next blog is going to be about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I feel like a spy or something... like we have "insider information"

    ReplyDelete